Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Merry Christmas

Christmas

Christmas here this weekend was nice, but weird. A bunch of PCVs (Peace Corps Volunteers) got together at Xai Xai beach and we rented a little house where we spent the weekend. We actually originally just rented out a few rooms in a house, but when I got there on Thursday they had double booked the rooms (of course) and they had to move us. The second house actually had more privacy and room for all of us so it ended up working out. It was VERY HOT for most of the weekend and the first few nights it was hard to sleep because of the heat. The first day I was out at the beach in the sun from 7:30am to 9am and after that spent most of the day in the shade and off the beach. You just can’t spend more time than that in the sun otherwise you get really sunburned and exhausted from the heat. It was nice to pretend like it was an ordinary weekend and not Christmas because thinking about it being Christmas day just made me miss home and the family traditions that we have. It was probably one of the tougher days that I have had here so far because it was hard to be so far away from home and it was the first Christmas that I have ever been away from family. All in all, it was a nice, relaxing weekend on the beach and it was nice to be around so many other volunteers after being alone at site for a few weeks.

So now I am back at site and back to washing dishes, clothes, and killing bats (I’ve killed 2 more since Christmas). Hopefully in a week or so I’ll start having meetings at school regarding the upcoming semester, my schedule, and what grades or subjects I will be teaching. I’m definitely ready to start work and get a busier daily schedule.

Hope everyone has a great holiday week back at home!

2 comments:

Marisa said...

Michy,
Feliz Navidad! I hope you are enjoying the nice hot weather you have instead of the crazy snow we just got here! Your blog posts have kept my family entertained and your pictures are great! Keep us updated!
<3 Marisa

Unknown said...

YAY FOR A WEEKEND ON THE BEACH FOR CHRISTMAS! Keep killing bats and keeping us updated. love youuu!