Wednesday, December 1, 2010

2 Days left of PST

2 days to go in training! Today I was cleaning out my purse and found a little yellow dot which we used during an activity during staging in Philadelphia two months ago. It all seems like so long ago that we were in staging and I had just met all of the other trainees. We have all come a long way and have gotten to know each other so well since then. Anyway, this week is relatively unstructured and mostly consists of packing and wrapping things up in training.

Today is World AIDS Day so we participated in a parade in town today with a group of local activists. There is a health fair going on for the rest of the day today where they have free HIV and STD testing and small groups of volunteers are also doing HIV/AIDS education activities.

Friday morning we pack up for good and head to Maputo to a pretty nice hotel, or so I hear. Peace Corps is then picking us up in the afternoon to go to our swearing in ceremony at the US Ambassador’s house. Rumor has it that the ceremony will be on Mozambican national television too. We were all given fabric to have dresses or tunics made so we will be in matching outfits for the ceremony. Saturday and Sunday people start departing for regional capitals and then Monday and Tuesday we have a supervisors conference with the health counterparts, or in my case my school’s director. Finally on Wednesday or Thursday I will probably head to site with my stuff and boxes, which is what I am really excited about. It will be nice to settle into Chongoene, get to know the town, and start setting up my house for the next two years!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

love reading your blog michelle! miss you!

Hayley Droppert said...

GOOD LUCK. ill be in the same boat soon after. We affectate the 17th. Must talk soon and hope your bday was wonderful (we too have stage fabric) im sure we'll look hilarious on Burkinabe tv and i have to give a speech in my local language..... oh boy here we go!!! xoxo