Sunday, March 17, 2013

I'm still standing...

So after a 7 month hiatus, I suppose it's time to get back to blogging.  I did indeed extend my Peace Corps service by 6 months until June 2013, so after a trip home over Christmas I was back in Mozambique!  The trip home at Christmas was everything I dreamed it would be.  Francelino came home with me over the holidays which was amazing.  We had a great trip with lots of firsts for him: first time on an airplane, traveling out of the country, seeing snow, SKIING!, and much more.  It was great that he was able to meet family and friends and spend Christmas with us. He was a real sport and survived the cold New England winter.  He even went skiing with me and loved it! I was a happy girl.

We are now back in Mozambique and I have just 3 more months of service.  Where did the time go?!  I won't lie, I do miss the luxuries of the first world and I am eager to get back and get paid for the work that I do, but I am enjoying each day here because I know I will miss it a lot.

Since I won't be here for a full school year I am no longer teaching at the secondary school.  I am working at an association in my community called AREPACHO.  It is an agricultural association that works to support impoverished families, orphans, and members of the community affected by HIV and AIDS.  I am working with a youth group at the association.  We meet 3 times a week and during that time I educate them on important topics like family planning, HIV and AIDS, malaria, gender equality, and others.  They then take the information that I have given them and prepare some sort of informative presentation and/or theatrical skits to communicate the information to other members of the community.

So far the biggest battle has been with consistency in attendance.  One day we'll have 7 kids and another 17 so it's hard to get work done!  Otherwise the kids are active and lots of fun and I really enjoy working with them.

Life here goes on as usual.  I'm so far past getting used to taking bucket baths and hand washing clothes that I barely think about it, although 3 weeks of hot showers, dish washers, cars, and washing machines was amazing in Dec/Jan.

More updates to come!

3 comments:

Nepal High Trek Ptv. Ltd. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...


A One Nepal offer 2017 as Special Remote Treking route
Kanchenjunga Trek,
Nar phu Valley trek and
Annapurna tilicho lake trek in Nepal

Tony M. said...

Good post.