Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Holidays at home

After 2 and a half weeks in the US I am on my way back to Mozambique. The visit was great as I was able to catch up with family and so many friends. I was spoiled by my mother's excellent cooking. She made all of my favorite dinners while I was home and delectable Christmas treats like cherry cheesecake and peanut butter fudge bars! Christmas has always been my favorite holiday and I consider it a very special family holiday so being able to spend it at home this year was a dream come true. The whole day was wonderful with breakfast and presents in the morning followed by a visit to my uncle's house in Connecticut where I got to catch up with many of my aunts, uncles, and cousins. The family Yankee swap was fun as usual, although I think my family took pity on me being the "poor volunteer in Africa" and I came out of it with a cool little telescope.
I appreciated down time, hanging out with friends on the couch and watching a movie, and definitely appreciated having a car at my disposal instead of having to rely on unreliable public transportation, as I do in Mozambique.
Many people have asked me if I experienced culture shock in the return from Africa to the developed world. The truth is that I wasn't as affected by it as I thought I would be. The weirdest thing was hearing everyone speaking English all around me, because I rarely speak English in Mozambique. I think that the since US and Mozambique are so different, and I know to expect them to be different, that I was prepared for the changes that I encountered back at home in the United States.
One of the biggest changes that I noticed In the US since last year is how much more everyone has become dependent on their cell phones! Your cell phone tells you everything: where to go, how to get there, the menu at the restaurant you're going to, you can answer any question on them! I know all of this existed in 2010 when I left, but everyone seems to be much more dependent on them.
The goodbyes were bittersweet after my visit. I felt blessed to have had the opportunity to visit during my Peace Corps service and I knew that I was going to miss everyone like crazy all over again, but the stay reminded me how much I love what I am doing and how much I love Mozambique. All in all, I feel ready and rejuvenated for my second year of service.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

It was so nice to have you here for Christmas! Wasn't it great to see most of your mom's family in one clean sweep?!!!!! Thanks for sharing your time with us. I was sorry to leave to visit my mom at the hospital and miss all the fun! Olivia and Liam LOVED playing spoons!
I look forward to reading your blog in 2012! We miss you already! Love, Sharon, JIm, Olivia and Liam