Friday, March 4, 2011

Quick updates!

I'll elaborate later, but while I'm in the city using the internet I figured I would post some quick updates on my life.

-After teaching computers here for two weeks, I will now be shifting my skills to teach English to 11th graders because they can send another teacher to teach computers, but there is no one else here who can teach English.

-Most of my students in computer class have never touched a computer before and were literally trembling as I showed them how to use a mouse and type on the keyboard correctly.

-It is now avocado season here and the avocados here are huge! They must be a different type from the ones that we have in the U.S. because these are giant.

-Yesterday I was invited to the wedding of two of my 11th grade students, yes, 11th graders, and yes, it's normal. I was so honored to be invited to their wedding with an official invitation and everything! It's March 27th and I'm sure that I will have stories afterwards about how it went.

-My Peace Corps sitemate, Naa, is African American and whenever people see us together they assume that I, being white, am American, and she is Mozambican. Yesterday we were eating dinner outside and this white guy (who was either South African or Australian) passed by and came to introduce himself to me. He asked me if I lived in Mozambique, and noticing that he was ignoring Naa and assuming that she was Mozambican, I responded, "Yes, WE are living here in Chongoene". Anyway, he didn't notice and went away without talking to her at all, which I thought was very RUDE.

-I have plans to relax and to go to the beach this weekend....and then figure out what I need to start teaching these 11th graders in English class...

-That's all for now! Things are still great here. More blog posts to come soon...

No comments: