Sunday, February 20, 2011

My introduction to school parties in mozambique

So like i said earlier, last wednesday was my schools 26th anniversary so there were no classes and instead we had a big party. The week before the teachers each had to contribute a bit of money and each of the classes were organizing food for themselves too. First of all, kids here have every class with the same group of their peers and the students all have one assigned classroom and the teachers rotate around. Each class has a teacher assigned to them who is responsible for the kids in that class(kind me like a homeroom teacher). That teacher is called the director de turma or dt. So i am the dt for a class of wild 11th graders and each week i have to meet with them and give announcements or talk to them about important issues concerning the school. However, the info that i have to give them is super vague to me like..."talk to them about the party, uniforms, the hymn, and saturday, ok go". So sometimes ill ask a teacher to explain things to me in more detail, but i also told my class that schools in the us work very differently and that they need to explain some things to me too. I actually have a couple of students who are up to that task and it helps me out immensely. Ok, now back to the party. I basically let my class plan stuff for the party themselves since i had no idea what was going on. Now, in the US when a class has a party one kid brings in cupcakes, another chips, another soda, etc etc. In mozambique the kids in all out. They brought in pots and pans, wood, charcoal, rice, chickens, a sack of potatoes, pasta, salad, and more. Each class basically camped out in a shady spot around the school and spent the entire morning cooking. It was super impressive. The drinking age here also means nothing and the school doesnt care so classes brought beer, homemade alcohols, and hard cider to school to drink with their meal. Mozambicans also LOVE to dance so kids brought in big speakers and music blasted throughout the school all day. The students also had a little talent show which included singing, rapping, dancing, poetry readings, and a beauty pageant. It was so cool to see them all perform and they made me be one of the three judges for the beauty pageant(pictures to come) which was fun but also a lot of pressure because im not a huge fan of talking to huge groups of people and they made me announce the winners of the beauty pageant to the whole crowd. All in all it was a really fun day although i was forced to eat so much food! I really liked hanging out with the other teachers and the students in a more casual environment.

No comments: